I have resolved hundreds of cases through arbitration, mediation, and negotiated or litigated settlements. My federal and state trial experience includes two class actions among individual cases tried to verdict, and 20 cases in the federal appeals courts, most of them as lead counsel.
Dougherty v. School District of Philadelphia, E.D. Pa. Civil Action No 2:12-cv-01001 (co-counsel with Lisa Mathewson), First Amendment whistleblower case on behalf of School District’s business manager. Verdict for the plaintiff, May 2015
Stories about whistleblower case: Dougherty v. School District of Philadelphia
- Judge awards $318,520 to whistle-blower
- Blow the whistle (Editorial)
- Attorneys given a week to see if schools whistle-blower gets payday
- Philadelphia School District had culture of mistrust
- A lesson on free speech
- Jury says Phila. district violated ex-official’s right to free speech
Agre v. Wolf, E.D. Pa. Civil Action No. 17-4392 (co-counsel with Tom Geoghegan, Brian Gordon, Lisa Mathewson, and others), federal challenge to Pennsylvania’s gerrymandered Congressional districts, substantially contributing to state court victory in League of Women Voters v. Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, which resulted in the party reversal of four Congressional seats.
Stories about Pennsylvania gerrymandering case
- New gerrymandering suit challenges Pa. maps in federal court
- U.S. Supreme Court allows lawsuit challenging Pennsylvania’s congressional map to proceed
Stepnowski and Webster v. Hercules Corporation and Pension Plan of Hercules, Inc, E.D. Pa. Civil Action Nos. 04-2296 and 05-6404 (co-counsel with Robert LaRocca and Joshua Snyder), ERISA class action alleging unlawful reduction of the pension benefits of roughly 2200 Hercules retirees, resolved through court-approved $18 million settlement on behalf of the class.
Masterson v. LaBrum and Doak, 876 F. Supp. 1224 (E.D. Pa. 1993), sex discrimination case alleging unfair pay and failure to promote an associate attorney to partnership status. In a rare example of such a remedy, the court ordered defendant law firm to promote the plaintiff to partnership.
Stories and Appearances about #METOO
- HR is not your friend: A Philly lawyer on sexual harassment and #Metoo | Opinion
- Will Pa. Senate probe Leach accusations? (quotes AB)
- Guest on David Oh’s radio show on sexual harassment – 1/30/18 WWDB 860
- Guest on American Law Journal TV show on sexual harassment – 2/12/18 WFMZ-TV