BA Harvard University
JD Harvard University
University of Pennsylvania Law School
- Adjunct Lecturer 2000-2002
- Adjunct Lecturer 1978-1979
Trial of an Issue of Fact
Villanova Law School
- Adjunct Professor 1985-1988
- Martindale Hubbell AV Preeminent Rating, Top Rated Lawyer in Labor and Employment, 2013
- Best Lawyers in America (Labor and Employment) 1997-Present
- U.S. News – Best Lawyers “Best Law Firms,” 2013
- Pennsylvania SuperLawyers (including Top 100 in Philadelphia), 2006-present;
- Philadelphia Magazine “Top Attorneys in Pennsylvania,” 2012
- Philadelphia Magazine “Top 50 Women Attorneys In Pennsylvania,” 2010
I have tried many cases, including two class actions, to verdict or judgment as lead or co-lead counsel. I have handled roughly 20 cases in the federal appeals courts, most of them as lead counsel. I have resolved hundreds of cases through arbitration, mediation, or settlement.
The issues that I handle include civil rights claims under state and federal laws (race, gender/sex, age, national origin, and retaliation), FMLA, ERISA, and Equal Pay Act claims, wage and hour claims under state and federal laws, and claims of constitutional violations under the First, Fifth, and Fourteenth Amendments.
I also work with individuals on employment contracts and separation agreements, severance negotiations, and matters involving restrictive covenants. I often counsel employees in their efforts to resolve disputes with current employers through informal means.
- Adviser for American Law Institute’s Restatement (Third) of Employment Law (now being developed): 2002-present
- Participant in Judge Baylson’s annual training seminar for new law clerks: 2006 – 2009
- Participant in Advisory Committee on Rules of Practice and Procedure Mini-Conference on Proposed Changes to Civil Rule 56: 2007
- Employment law consultant to Pennsylvania Courts project to revise Pennsylvania Standard Jury Instructions: 2006
- Third Circuit Task Force on Rule 11: 1989-1990
- E.D. Pa. Civil Justice Reform Act Expense and Delay Reduction Plan Advisory Committee: 1991-1998
- Volunteer Arbitrator, E.D. Pa Court-Annexed Arbitration program: 1990-present
Professional Organization Memberships
- American Law Institute (life member)
- National Employment Lawyers Association
- American Bar Association
- Philadelphia Bar Association
“Thanks you for your kindness, caring, and effort during our saga to seek justice and make a difference for all.”
J.G. (race discrimination case)
D.P.R. (CEO of a major retailer).
M.K. (pension issue).
M.W. (exit strategy).
G.A. (referring attorney)
“Your counsel made me not afraid of them.”